Cultures collide in one of my favourite sandwiches: the quesadilla. Hawaij is a Lebanese Jewish spice mix, with a lovely cardamom perfume kick. Wedged into some tortillas with cheese and chicken, I could eat this kind of thing all day.
Chicken hawaij quesadillas:
For the hawaij mix:
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Crushed seeds of 2 cardamom pods (discard pods)
2 chicken breasts, diced
4 flour tortillas
1 red onion, sliced
A couple of handfuls of grated cheese
Chopped coriander leaves
Creme fraiche and salsa to serve
- Mix all the hawaij ingredients together and marinate the chicken for at least an hour.
- Fry the onion in a pan for a minute, then add the chicken mixture. Continue to stir fry until the chicken is cooked through, then set to one side.
- Lay a tortilla out, sprinkle some cheese on it, add some chicken then top with more cheese and a blast of coriander. Sandwich another tortilla on top.
- In a dry pan fry the tortilla sandwich, pressing down to glue it together. Keep your nose peeled for burning smells, you want to catch it about a minute before this! Flip over and fry the other side.
- Cut into wedges and munch with a scoop each of creme fraiche and salsa, or guacamole if that’s your thing.